Monday, March 13, 2017

Hola everybody, it has been another exciting week here in the Ciudad de Mexico.
I will give you all an update on my apartment, and way of living. We have upgraded from the one cup, and one spoon for each of us. We now have some bowls and plates and even a pan to cook some eggs. We are still working on getting a refrigerator though. Our water heater went out, so we were taking cold showers every day and that was a little rough. Then we found this metal stick thing that we can plug in to the wall, and set it in a bucket of water and it warms the water up. We have been using those buckets to bathe ourselves now instead of the shower and I actually like it more than the shower.

We went on exchanges within our district on Friday and that was a good experience. I went with Elder Jones, who is still being trained. He is probably the whitest guy I know and neither of us speak very great Spanish. It was a fun time. There is a word that all of the American missionaries get called, which is "Güero". It isn't offensive or anything, it is just how they refer to us. During this exchange was the most American that I have felt since I arrived in Mexico. We found a Burger King and had lunch together there before we split up into our exchanges and that was one of the happiest days of my mission. You don't realize how much you miss some good fast food until its gone.

We had a list of investigators and less actives to go see, but none of them were home. It was pretty frustrating because we would walk like a mile just to knock on their door and have nobody answer. We decided to forget the list and say a prayer. Elder Jones said the prayer and he prayed that we would find a new family of investigators. After the prayer we both just started walking and expected to find our answer as we did our best to talk with people. Well, we passed a house and I really felt a strong feeling to knock on the door. So I did. Some guy answered and we started talking to him a little bit about families. At first he seemed really interested but then as the conversation went on, I found out that all he really wanted some tortillas. I had to tell him about 3 times that we weren't selling tortillas. He got upset and didn't want to talk anymore. So that wasn't our answer. We kept trying for the rest of the night and ended up finding 2 new families that both have a lot of potential. the other companionship also found a familiy that they said was really solid and they were super excited about.

In our prayer, we only prayed to find ONE family... But Heavenly Father blessed both companionships and together we found 3. It was a really strong testimony to me that prayer really works. Often times we will pray for things but then don't do anything about it. I know that as we work and expect to find answers to our prayers, that they will come. They may not come as fast as you want, or in the way you hope, but when we pray in faith, we can be assured that whatever answer we recieve is the right one.

I love you and I am grateful that I have had yet another week here in Mexico City. I love it here and I love being a missionary. Thank you all for your examples and emails. Have a great week!


Elder May

No comments:

Post a Comment