Monday, April 10, 2017

This week has been one of the most eventful weeks of my mission. Many milestones were made, and new investigators were found.

For starters, we fixed our shower, so we are no longer bathing out of buckets. That was a happy day for our house. Our next project will be to get rid of the bugs.

The food this week has been a good experience. On Thursday we ate with a member who is a really good cook. She gave us some enchiladas that were super good. She was very kind and told me that she took into consideration that I am a gringo and didn't make the enchiladas spicy. I thanked her and then took my first bite. She was mistaken. They were some of the hottest food that I have ever eaten. They were so delicious though so I ate 7. She felt bad when she saw how bad I was sweating, and I felt bad that she felt bad. I really did enjoy them. It just was kind of painful. The next day we ate with another lady and she also gave us the exact same type of enchiladas and told me the exact same thing, that she made sure to make them mild for me. They were just as hot. I think the relief society is trying to strengthen my spicy tolerence. It is very kind of them. On Saturday I was prepared for another round of spicy enchiladas but what she gave us was something new. She said "Espero que les gusta la pata de rez" which means "I hope you both like cow feet" and gave us each a plate with some good looking cow feet. She was even kind enough to leave some little hairs on them to give us some extra nutrients. I'm not sure what was easier to eat between the fiery enchiladas or the hairy cow feet, but either way, I think I walked away from that dinner appointment manlier than when I entered.

The work here in Espartaco has been progressing a lot more. On Tuesday, we were walking to our appointment when a 19 year old girl named Akane, and her mom, Gladys, ran up to us and asked if we would teach them. That like never happens so we were pretty excited. We told them we could teach them later that night if they wanted, and they accepted. We return to their house and taught them the restoration. We asked Akane if she would take Moroni's challenge and pray  about our message and about the book of mormon. She started the prayer and when she was about to ask if it was true, she paused for a little bit. After a few seconds I realized that shew as crying and then began to thank our Father in Heaven for putting us in their path and that she knows that out message was true. It was one of the most spiritual lessons I have had on my mission. There is something very humbling and very happy to hear and see somebody pray for the first time. We were able to teach them 3 more times last week and even read every chapter and pamphlet that we left them. They are so great and they even came to church yesterday too. They both are preparing to be baptized as well.

There is another investigator whom we found yesterday named Enrique. He just decided on his own that he wanted to come to church, so he came all by himself and didn't know anybody. We were able to meet with him later and taught him the first lesson as well. He also has agreed to be baptized.

There have been so many more miracles that have been happening lately but I don't have time to write all of them. I can definitely see and feel the Lord working here in this area. There is no way that my companion and I alone could be accomplishing what has been going on. I have loved being a missionary and feeling so close to the Savior. This week I will have completed 6 months. The time is really going by fast. I love you all and enjoy hearing from you every week!

Elder May


No comments:

Post a Comment