Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Hola everybody!

Sorry that I have been slacking with the emails. I just keep forgetting... But this past few weeks have been great! I know I say that every week, but it is kind of hard to not have a good day when you are a missionary. I have found that no matter what kinds of challenging things happen, I find that I am happy again within about 5 minutes. Being a missionary is one of the happiest and hardest things I have ever done. I love it.

Last week we went to a foot doctor to see if she could fix my blisters on my feet. I have had those blisters for my entire time here and I figured I should probably get them checked. Apparently they were infected and therefore unable to heal. Because of all of the walking we do, the callouses on my feet were too thick to sand down with her filer thing, so she used what was basically a power drill with a sanding bit to get them down and be able to thoroughly clean my foot. It was pretty gnarly. I think she did a good job though because I haven't had any pain since. It has been great.

The bus drivers are basically super-human. One of the bus drivers we had this week on the way to church had a laptop on his dashboard and was watching a movie while driving the bus (which is stick-shift), watching for people who wave for the bus to stop, counting money and giving change to the people on the bus, and all of this while driving in Mexico City traffic which is like nothing any of you have ever seen. I was pretty impressed. The drivers here are all crazy but I haven't seen one accident. I guess they know what they are doing.

Anyways, our investigators are still doing pretty well. We had to change Akane's baptismal date because she hasn't been coming to church. Turns out that her boyfriend doesn't like us and doesn't want her coming anymore and it is causing problems in their relationship. It is too bad because we were able to be there when Akane received her answer that the church was true and it was one of the most spiritual experiences I have had on my mission. Nobody that witnessed it could deny the spirit that was there.

We also have another investigator named Enrique who is still super solid. He has a date to be baptized on may 6 and is super excited. He said he wants to learn enough to be able to teach the youth of the church. He has had some tough trials due to some mistakes he has made and wants to be able to help the youth not make those same mistakes. He is awesome. He is already inviting people to his baptism and everything. He loves the temple as well. He is excited to be able to enter one day, and has even set a goal to enter the salt lake temple. I really hope he keeps up with his excitement.

Teaching Enrique has been very humbling. He is 58 years old. While teaching him it has really hit me that I am a 19 year old American kid in Mexico City who speaks hardly any spanish, and I am teaching a 58 year old man how to find peace in his life. It doesn't really seem to make sense that anyone should listen to me. But people do. There is hope in this gospel that brings peace like nothing else. It has been amazing to see people make changes in their lives such as to quit smoking or drinking, or to commit to live the law of chastity, or any other commitments that we leave with people. I can't think of any reason that people would listen to what we have to say, and keep the commitments we leave with them except that they have felt the love of Christ and it has given them hope. It has been an amazing experience to see people feel that love for maybe the first time in their life. I have realized how much I have taken Christ's love for granted and I am so grateful to be a member of this church and know the things I know. I love you all, have a great week!

Elder May


A motorcycle. We aren't allowed to ride them so I just sat on it for picture purposes.

Where we teach Enrique

My area

No comments:

Post a Comment