Tuesday, May 16, 2017

First off, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to my mom and all of the moms reading this. You are all amazing and very much appreciated.
This week was a little different. I hate to say it, but there wasn't a whole lot of missionary work going on because of some unexpected doctor trips, but that is okay. To go to the doctor here it is about an all day trip, so we ended up having to go on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. It was a little frustrating that it took up all of our time, but It made for some good stories.
The "Mission Doctor"'s office is in a building right next to the Mexico City temple, so we got to enjoy that a little bit. We aren't allowed to go in to the temple (mission rule) until our last transfer in the mission so that was a little sad, but it was still really cool to see the temple. The Mexico City temple is one of the coolest-looking ones to me. On saturday, we finished with our appointment and we found a Little Caesar's restaurant nearby and we ate there for lunch. I wasn't very hungry so I ended up carry the pizza in the box with me on our way home. My companion wanted to try a different route that he thought was faster to get home, so I trusted him and followed his lead.... We ended up getting pretty lost. When the bus started driving down a dirt street with storage boxes and nobody around I was pretty sure he had no idea where he was directing us. I asked him and he admitted that he had no idea where we were. So for a couple hours we wandered aimlessly around Mexico City with only my Little Caesar's pizza to comfort me. Needless to say, we ended up finding our way back. I feel pretty confident that I can navigate myself to any part of the city now.
The work has been a little harder lately. It seems like all of our solid investigators are dropping like flies. We have one named Miguel who is pretty golden. He reads everything and he understand everything. He quit smoking and drinking coffee on the spot and loves the church. He is almost finished with 2 Nephi and is still just on fire. However, he informed us that he will be moving to Venezuela on saturday. We were pretty discouraged because he would have been getting baptized already if he didn't have to move. He asked that we send the missionaries to his house in Venezuela when he gets there, so I hope they will find him.
We had another investigator who was also pretty golden but texted us out of nowhere saying that she doesn't want to meet with us anymore. she said that she is too busy with her job and school and everything. That was pretty hard for us to see her grow so much and then suddenly decide to stop progressing, but we are still praying for her.
There have been other instances as well with investigators not wanting us to teach them anymore, so we feel like we are starting all over again here. I suppose that is just how missionary work goes sometimes and all we can do about it is work more efficiently and think of a new plan to find some new people. Hopefully next week we will have some good new investigators.

It was hard not to get discouraged at first when all of the investigators started leaving. I studied a lot trying to find an answer about what we could do better and how we could help the area. One of the most distinct answers that I received was that I just need to keep moving forward with faith. I have learned that when we have faith in Christ and in our Father in heaven there is nothing to fear. As we live obediently and keep moving forward with a desire to serve the Lord we will see the Lord's hand in our lives. I know that to be true. Have a great week!
--

Elder May




No comments:

Post a Comment