Monday, May 22, 2017

I'll be honest, this week was a little sparse on the interesting stories... There were no doctor's appointments or anything super exciting, but when you are a missionary every day is a good day, regardless what happens.

We met with an investigator named Hector on Tuesday and it was a pretty good experience. Hector loves the book of mormon, and everything about the church, the only reason he hasn't been baptized already is because he smokes. We read Alma 24 about the Anti-Nephi-Lehis and how they buried their weapons of war. We applied it to him and how he can quite smoking. He felt really motivated and said that he would quit. The next day he left for a vacation and we haven't seen him since, but I am really hoping that everything has been going well.

Enrique has still been doing really well. He usually comes to church in a brown polo and jeans, but now that he is a confirmed member of the church, he wanted to looks like one. I gave him on of my white shirts and a tie and he was pretty excited. He came to church yesterday and was really happy with how he looked and felt. He was so proud of himself that he wanted to go to the restroom and look at himself in the mirror for a little bit before church started. He is also working on his family history and plans to be baptized for his dad soon. He loves the temple and is holding on to his goal of attending the Salt Lake City temple.

I was reading about Nephi and his family's journey in the wilderness. We all know that Laman and Lemuel were constantly murmuring and we often think of them as bad people. However, how often are we like Laman and Lemuel? As I read about them this morning, I thought to myself that I would probably be right along with them complaining about having to leave a comfortable home and wander in the wilderness for 8 or so years. It doesn't sounds like a very fun plan to survive off of raw meat and suffer "all manner of afflictions" either. As we know, Nephi was always strong in his faith and never complained. In fact, he mentions "how great were the blessings of the lord". While his brothers complained and felt sorry for themselves because of their trials, Nephi took the same circumstances and found the good in them.

I was able to apply this principle to me in my life as a missionary, but I also know that it can apply to all of us in all aspects of our lives. It isn't always easy to stay positive and faithful, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for Nephi to keep that attitude either, but we can all strive to be more like Nephi when trials come. I love the Book of Mormon and the messages it brings. I learn something new every time I read. I hope you all have a great week!

Elder May

Some members made us a cake with our names on it

The solution to our bug problem


No comments:

Post a Comment