Tuesday, January 17, 2017

I hate to admit it, but this week was a lot less exciting. I didn't even eat anything super weird this week. I did get food poisoning again but that is starting to become kind of a usual occurrence as my body has been adjusting to the food. That doesn't make it any less miserable though. Good times. I have decided that people here are either super good cooks, or the have no idea what they're doing. There really is no in-between. On Thursday we went on exchanges. I was with an Elder named Elder Misustin. He is a really fun guy and it was a good time. We stayed in the Spanish area, while Elder Castillo went with Elder Parke in the English area... So for the whole day I was doing all of the talking and teaching. It actually went really well and I learned that I know more Spanish than I give myself credit for. We ate lunch at a members house and she asked us if we wanted "enchiladas, sopes, or tacos?" We both said enchiladas, so she brought us some enchiladas and they were super good. But then, she brought out some sopes and, then later, a big plate of tacos. I quickly learned that her question wasn't a choice between enchiladas, sopes, or tacos, but rather "which do you want first?" It was kind of funny, but I felt so fat afterwards. I have gained about 10 pounds out here. Even when you tell people you aren't hungry, they feed you anyways, so there is really nothing you can do.

On sunday we had the awesome experience to have Elder Uceda from the 70 come to visit and speak to our branch. (He just spoke in the most recent general conference.) I understood everything that he was saying in his talk, but the thing with learning Spanish right now is that I can understand and recognize almost every word, but it doesn't quite stick and I forget it in about 5 minutes. It's kind of weird. For our Priesthood and Relief society portion of church, we all met back in the chapel and it was like a Q/A kind of thing, it was really cool. Someone asked "We are commanded to love our neighbors, and love our enemies, but how do we love people who are hard to love?" Elder Uceda immediately went to Moroni 7:48 which talks about charity. It says to pray with all of the energy in our hearts to be filled with Christ-like love. If we can be filled with this love, we can really become more like Christ. I'm sure it was hard for the Savior to love everybody, but he did. It also says in verse 48 that his love is bestowed upon all those who are true followers of Jesus Christ. As we do our best to constantly try to love everybody and be the best disciples of Christ that we can be, we can be feeling with this same love. We can feel of that hope, and become pure, just as Christ was. I hope you all have a great week!


Elder May




No comments:

Post a Comment