Monday, January 9, 2017

Well first off, I would like to let you all know that I received an email about my visa... But it basically just said "we still don't know where your visa is so keep waiting in Atlanta". So looks like I'm staying here for another transfer, but that is okay. I like it here. My area is like Mexico without parasites, so it's great.

On Friday there were a lot of people talking about this big snowstorm that was going to come during the weekend. It sounded like it was going to be pretty gnarly and I wasn't sure if I should be worried or not. It seemed a little silly to me because back in Utah snow really isn't that big of a deal. But oh well. We got a call from Sister Bernal Friday morning and she said she wanted to take us grocery shopping just in case we got snowed-in and couldn't leave the apartment for a few days. We thought that sounded a little bit exaggerated, but she insisted (and we needed some groceries) so we went with her. The Grocery store was crazy. Everybody was in there for the same reason. I felt like it was the end of the world or something. She bought us some sandwich meat from the meat department. While we were there, they were letting us try different slices of the wide variety of sandwich meats that they had. Well there was this one particular sandwich meat that looked like salami, with little blobs of fat inside in random places. I tried it and it was disgusting. She later told me that it was pig-face. And that those fatty parts were the eyes. I said no to that, and we went with some turkey. We were able to talk to a lot of people in the grocery store. We were just walking and one older lady looked at us and said "When are you boys coming over to eat?" We had no idea who she was so we talked to her and found out that she isn't a member, but she loves missionaries. She said that she has been feeding the missionaries in this area for the last 20 years, but recently lost contact with us, until she saw us in the store. We plan on seeing her and hopefully start working with her.

We got home and put away all of our groceries and went about the rest of our day. Still, everybody we talked to was telling us to be safe in the snowstorm the next day. Well, Saturday came around and as predicted, it snowed.... Kind of. There was barely any snow on the ground. I just laughed to myself because that was not what everybody made it seem to be. It made me miss Utah's snow a little bit. We ended up getting texts from the stake president saying that church was going to be cancelled because of the snow. I thought that was a little overkill but oh well. We ended up getting permission to hold our own sacrament meeting in a members house with some other members who lived nearby. It was actually really spiritual. After that, my companion and I went with the branch mission leader to bring the sacrament to the rest of the families in the ward. It was really neat to be able to do that for all of them. At one house, my companion put me on the spot and said that I had a message prepared for them... So I just pulled out my scriptures and winged it. I was really guided by the spirit though and I just kind of opened my mouth and words came out. I shared about how in Alma 7:11 it says that Christ went forth and suffered pains, afflictions, and temptations of every kind. He was willing to suffer more pain than any human being could ever experience. I can't even imagine how painful that must have been. In the sacrament prayers it says that "We are willing to take upon ourselves the name of thy son." Christ was willing to suffer for all of us. Because of him we can become clean every week through the sacrament. We don't have to suffer as Christ did to be forgiven. All that Heavenly Father asks of us is to be willing to take his name upon ourselves and to remember him. Remember what he did for all of us, and keep his commandments. I have really come to develop a stronger relationship with my savior while I have been out here in my mission. But we don't need to be on a mission to develop a relationship with Christ. We can all strengthen our faith in Christ every day. I love you all, have a great week!

Elder May

The little bit of "snow" we got that cancelled church and put the city in chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment