Tuesday, June 6, 2017

This week has been a little better in the CDMX. I will tell you about one of the stories this week.
We were on our way to an appointment one day and I saw that there was an old guy about 20 feet away with a basketball. I don't think he was playing because he could hardly even walk either. He was just standing there dribbling the ball and having a good time. When we passed him I just said "buenos dias!" and we started talking a little bit about basketball. He handed his basketball to me and asked me to play basketball with him. So I crossed him up a little bit, broke his ankles, and showed him some tricks I learned in church ball and he was pretty impressed. We got talking about what we do as missionaries and asked if we could come by his house one day. He said no and walked away.
A few days later, we were walking down the same street looking for an old investigator when we saw the same old guy. We didn't say much more than "buenos dias" because he already told us that he didn't want to listen, but he ended up asking us if we could stop for a minute and share something with him. After talking with him for a little bit we learned that his name is Juan. He is 53 and has no teeth whatsoever. However, his smile is one of the happiest smiles I have ever seen. He lives alone and likes to paint. He showed us a really big painting he made and asked us what we thought it was. To me it looked like there was an ocean and a 4-winged chicken with no legs flying above the water. He told me I was wrong and that it was a painting of Buddah. Anyways, Juan is a fun guy. We invited him to church and he excitedly said yes. Usually when somebody says they will come to church with us, they never come. We were a little skeptical about Juan because he is a little different and didn't think he would come. However. we promised him we would stop by his house and walk with him to church. When we got there, he was waiting in the street for us and had his tie tied and everything. At church, after he saw the first person go up to bear their testimony, he asked me if he could share his testimony. I said he could if he wanted to, so he was the second person from the ward to go up. He said that he knows that God lives, and that he can feel that this church is true... He also said he believes his other church is true as well, but we will work on that. He also said that he knows that faith is real. I actually really felt the spirit as he spoke about faith. He mentioned how Faith can move mountains, whether physically, or metaphorically in our personal lives. I have thought about faith a lot lately and I know the words of Juan are true. Faith gives us the power to overcome any circumstance. In Ether 12:12 it says that there can be no miracles without faith. I learned a powerful principle from Juan yesterday. I also know that God lives and that Christ is his only begotten son, and our savior.
Have a great week!


Elder May

Enrique wants to be a missionary one day

No comments:

Post a Comment